Saturday, March 22, 2008

Glitter, flock and foil

Every Thursday we give a class at KTCrafts Message Board, this is the one I did this week:

Glitter, flock and foil comes in many variations, I have picked a few of them to work with today. There are also many ways of adhering them, far more than I will describe! 1. I bought the Flock and Glitter set from ATB, and this was so fun to work with! The set comes with 4 different flocks, 2 glitters and a bottle of glue, and there are many different glue-sheets to buy, too!

2. Cut out the image you want to use.
3. Take off the paper and put it where you want it - you need to get it exactly in place as it sticks easily. Rub on the plastic sheet to get it to adhere well. Take the plastic sheet away.
4. Sprinkle the flock or glitter over the image, a little at a time.

5. A soft brush made by natural hair is very useful - do not use synthetic brushes as these become static. Brush the flock/glitter on the image.

6. The result:7. You can also adhere these products with doublesided tape foil - I do that very often using my Cuttlebug or Ellison dies! It does not work with QK and BossKut, these dies are not thick enough to go through the tape foil. Attach the tape foil and rub on it to make it adhere better. Hey, wait... I need to get those dots over "O" to make a Swedish "Ö"... For this I use the ZIG 2-Way-Glue, which gets non-permanent if you let it dry.

8. Remove the paper from the cut outs, and sprinkle glitter over. Attach it using your fingertip or a brush. Brush or tap off the excess glitter.9. Using another cut out, I put foliating foil (the same kind as used when printing napkins) over it, rub on the foil with your finger nail and lift off.

If you think the foil looks funny... I got it from a photo shop nearby who prints on photos - one roll of leftover gold foil. They have only used one side of it. Here it is:

10. Now off to try the glue that came with the Glitter and Flock set... I was not impressed by it, as it ran very easily through the nozzle creating small lakes of glue. I used a Q-tip to take the most off. Then put the brush down in the flock and tapped it on the glue. It worked! 11. Next test: ZIG Two-Way glue, chisel tip. I wrote text with it and dabbed flock on top.

12. And now on to the Doodlebug Sugar Coating - which has become one of my favorites. I used a cutout, sprinkled the Sugar Coating over and used my brush to get it even.




And now I have an LO using all these techniques and materials that looks like this:



No comments: